May 27, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Memorial Day | Long Creek | Susan Rice

Knife recovered from back of Bangor Leadbetter employee, police say

Bangor Police Department | BDN
Bangor Police Department | BDN
Danny Bolden
By Nok-Noi Ricker, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — Police do not know why a young transient from Georgia attacked a store employee of Leadbetter Mini Stop on Hammond Street early Monday, but they did recover the weapon used, Bangor police Sgt. Paul Edwards said.

“It was a knife,” the sergeant said Tuesday. “It was recovered from the victim — it was still in his back.”

Police arrived at the scene about 6:35 a.m. Monday and within a couple of hours arrested Danny Bolden, 23, at the Bangor Area Homeless Shelter.

The 69-year-old victim, a longtime Leadbetter employee named Frank, left the store just a minute or two before the attack, store owner Scott Leadbetter said Tuesday.

“He had just left the store here and was walking by Domino’s Pizza when he saw a man running towards him,” Leadbetter said, standing inside the store he has owned for 20 years.

Bolden stuck a steak knife into Frank’s back and then ran off, the store owner said.

“Frank said he didn’t try to rob him or anything,” Leadbetter said.

The assault occurred on Clinton Court, a short alley behind Grace United Methodist Church, and Frank somehow made his way back to the store, he said.

“I didn’t handle the situation too well but Frank was very calm,” Leadbetter said. “The knife was sticking out of his back — I couldn’t believe it.”

The alleyway is behind Cakes by Jan, located across the street from the Leadbetter store, which is at the corner of Ohio and Hammond streets.

Frank, who has worked at the store for more than 15 years, was transported to Eastern Maine Medical Center’s emergency room and remains in the hospital, Leadbetter said, adding that doctors have told him he will be there until Friday.

When Leadbetter visited his employee in the hospital on Monday, Frank told him that if he had to walk another 50 feet he would not have made it, the store owner said.

Bolden’s father moved to the area several months ago and is a regular customer, Leadbetter said. His son arrived from Georgia within the last month or so and also had shopped at the convenience store.

“We never had any problems” beforehand, the store owner said.

Bolden’s father stopped by the store on Tuesday to apologize for his son’s actions.

“He feels very sorry for what happened,” Leadbetter said.

Bolden was charged with elevated aggravated assault, a Class A felony, and could face up to 30 years behind bars if convicted.

“There is no motive known at this time,” Edwards said.

Bolden first stayed at the homeless shelter in early May, shelter director Dennis Marble has said.

Bolden was taken to the Penobscot County Jail and remained there on Tuesday. He is scheduled to have his first court appearance Wednesday at the Penobscot Judicial Center.

The investigation continues and those with information about the attack may call the Bangor Police Department at 947-7382. Anonymous messages can be left on the tip line by pressing extension 6.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like