Woman found wandering in Oregon from Virginia, not Maine

Posted June 01, 2012, at 5:41 p.m.

A woman found wandering on the outskirts of Albany, Ore., last month has been positively identified as Marcia Lee Rackley, 67, of Norfolk, Va., according to the Linn County (Ore.) Sheriff’s Office.

Rackley suffers from severe mental illness, according to a press release issued Friday by Linn County Sheriff Tim Mueller. When she is not taking her medication, Rackley wanders, boards buses or trains, and often travels without any form of identification.

“[She] has been institutionalized or hospitalized for treatment of her mental illness in [several] states including New York, Maine, Florida, and, at one point, Canada,” the press release said.

Rackley, who was found on May 15, told Linn County officials her name was Katie Walker and that she had traveled from Maine to Oregon. The international search to identify her showed that she was in Chicago before heading west on a Greyhound bus for Portland, Ore.

A nurse who contacted deputies in Linn County said Rackley was admitted to a Chicago-area hospital on April 23 after she was seen in a bathroom at O’Hare International Airport for three days, the press release said. At that point Rackley had identification with her.

Once she was treated at the hospital, Rackley was admitted to a Chicago-area psychiatric center, according to Mueller. After treatment, she was released and purchased a bus ticket from Chicago to Portland.

The Chicago nurse put Linn County officials in contact with Rackley’s sister, who positively identified her Friday morning, the press release said.

Rackley has never been married and has no children, according to her sister, who was not identified by the sheriff’s office.

Mueller said in the press release that investigators working the case received more than 60 tips from across the U.S. and Canada. Those tips came in the form of emails, telephone calls and Facebook messages.

Three Maine agencies — the Maine State Police, the Fort Kent Police Department and the Aroostook County Sheriff’s Department — aided in the investigation.