Bar Harbor man accused of rutting up Kebo Valley golf course with pickup truck

Posted May 30, 2012, at 10:38 a.m.
Last modified May 30, 2012, at 5:51 p.m.

BAR HARBOR, Maine — A local man has been charged with vandalizing a golf course on Eagle Lake Road.

According to Bar Harbor Police Department records, Ethan Fogg, 30, is accused of causing $5,000 in damage to the grounds of Kebo Valley Golf Club when he allegedly drove a vehicle “all over the course” sometime during the night of May 20 or in the early hours of May 21.

Fogg was arrested shortly after midnight Wednesday on a charge of aggravated criminal mischief, according to Bar Harbor police reports. The aggravated nature of the charge is because of the monetary amount of damage done during the incident, according to Bar Harbor police Officer Tim Bland.

“It’s a felony offense,” Bland said Wednesday.

Bland, the investigating officer, said Fogg also is suspected of driving the GMC pickup truck through nearby Ledgelawn Cemetery and causing damage there. The cemetery is closed at night, Bland said, so Fogg is facing an additional charge of criminal trespass.

The incident is still under investigation, the officer said, and other charges may be pending.

Bland said the pickup truck Fogg drove is a new one that he had on loan from a dealer while his personal vehicle is in the shop. There was damage to the loaner truck, the officer said, including dents, scratches, broken trim and some bumper damage.

“It wasn’t even his,” Bland said of the truck.

Police still are looking into whether Fogg may have been alone in the vehicle when he caused the damage, the officer said.

Fogg was released Wednesday morning directly from the Bar Harbor police station after he posted $500 secured bail, Bland said.

Peiter DeVos, the golf pro at the club, said Wednesday that the grounds crew has been hard at work and has repaired much of the damage. He said an event was held at the course two days after the incident and that the 48th annual Paul Bunyan Amateur Golf Tournament is expected to go ahead this weekend, June 2 and 3, as planned.

“The condition of the course is really good,” DeVos said. “Our grounds crew has done a phenomenal job.”

DeVos said the culprit drove over and tore off a sprinkler head in the fairway of the 14th hole, which caused water damage to that fairway and another on the 13th hole. He said the truck went straight across the green of the 16th hole, causing little damage to that green.

“Today, if you walked there, you wouldn’t know [it had been damaged] unless you knew what to look for,” DeVos said of the green. “You can barely even tell. We’re fortunate [the damage] is as minimal as it was.”

Follow BDN reporter Bill Trotter in Twitter at @billtrotter.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Hancock