June 20, 2018
Midcoast Latest News | Poll Questions | Family Separations | Boston TV | LePage Troops

Convicted murderer to serve two more years

By Stephen Betts, BDN Staff

ROCKLAND, Maine — A 42-year-old Rockland man has been ordered to serve another two years previously suspended from a prison sentence imposed for the April 1992 murder of a 79-year-old Warren man.

Earl Nash appeared in 6th District Court Tuesday afternoon and admitted he had committed another violation of his probation. The defense and prosecution agreed that Nash would serve the remaining 24 months and one day of his original 20-year sentence that had been suspended. His probation will be terminated when he is released and there will be no additional jail time hanging over his head for the felony murder and robbery convictions.

Nash was arrested five weeks ago in Rockland for an alleged probation violation. Police had responded to a report of a fight and possible attempted burglary at the intersection of Rockland and Main streets and found Nash in the vicinity. Police reports stated that he was visibly under the influence of something. He admitted to officers that he had shot up on bath salts, according to the police report. A syringe and knife were found in his possession, according to police.

The Tuesday hearing lasted only a few minutes before Judge Susan Sparaco. Nash was represented by attorney Jeremy Pratt and Assistant Attorney General Lisa Bogue represented the state.

Nash has been arrested five times since being released on probation a little more than four years ago.

He was originally sentenced to 20 years in prison with all but 16 years and 274 days suspended.

The victim in the case was 79-year-old Carroll Howard of Warren. His death was not initially considered a homicide when his body was found on the floor of his mobile home. Howard bled to death from a head injury.

Police were tipped off to the details of the crime three years later when a suspect in another case provided information about the involvement of Nash and two other men in what began as a robbery. According to testimony at the time of the trial, the three suspects had been on a drinking binge and went to rob Howard to get more money for liquor. They broke into his home and demanded money. Nash punched the man in the face and he eventually fell to the floor.

He was unable to call police because the trio took his telephone.

The three left finding only $5, tools and the telephone. They failed to find $1,300 in cash that Howard had in his pocket.

Nash’s last probation violation was in May 2011 for a drug offense. He was sentenced then to an additional eight months in jail.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like