June 23, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Border Patrol | Energy Scam | Toxic Moths

‘Quite a few’ interviews done in Bangor stabbing probe, police say

John Clarke Russ | BDN
John Clarke Russ | BDN
Bangor Police investigate the area of a fatal stabbing on First Street in Bangor on Tuesday.
By Nok-Noi Ricker, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — Police are releasing few details about the homicide of a local man who died Tuesday after being stabbed in a fight on First Street except to say they continue to work on figuring out what happened.

“We spoke to quite few people,” Bangor police Detective Sgt. Paul Kenison said Thursday. “The first day we talked to as many people as possible” and have continued to conduct interviews.

No arrests have been made in the fatal stabbing, Sgt. Cathy Rumsey said Friday night.

Andy D. Smith, 38, was stabbed with some type of weapon at around 1:45 a.m. Tuesday and later died at Eastern Maine Medical Center. The state medical examiner’s office determined his death was a homicide and that the cause of death was stabbing.

Police arrived at the scene of the stabbing, the area of 69 and 71 First St., shortly after 911 was called.

“It was a matter of a minute or two,” Kenison said.

They found the injured Smith at 69 First St. bleeding profusely and detained several people in handcuffs — four or five of them — after arriving, two witnesses said.

One eyewitness, a longtime friend of Smith’s, said the stabbing involved a group of people — one with a weapon — defending a woman who was in a fight with Smith.

Smith’s friend Eugene “Shawn” Cox, a resident of 69 First St., said as the former couple argued, another woman, who lives at 71 First St., “came out with a two-by-four and she hit him,” apparently in defense of the first woman. “He got the two-by-four away from her and she called for her friends. They all started on him.”

Seconds later, Smith was bleeding from a wound to his left rib area and was trying to get away. Cox said he did not see who stabbed his friend. He grabbed a pipe and ran downstairs and said he encountered his bleeding friend at the bottom of the steps.

Police are not revealing whether a weapon was recovered from the scene.

“I am not able to tell you that,” Kenison said.

Smith was a 1992 graduate of Bangor High School, had studied at the University of Maine and recently had lived in Mendocino, Calif., according to his Facebook page.

He moved back to the area three or four months ago because he has two children, ages 7 and 11, who live in Orono, his friend said.

Police are urging anyone with information about the stabbing to call the Bangor Police Department at 947-7382. Those who wish to remain anonymous may press 6 to leave a message on the tip line.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like