HOLDEN, Maine — A woman was cleaning her house Saturday afternoon and found what she thought was an explosive and called local police, who asked the Bangor Police Department’s bomb squad to investigate.
“A woman called [saying she] found a stick of dynamite,” Bangor police Sgt. Paul Edwards said on Sunday. “It wasn’t. It ended up being a chimney extinguisher.”
The stick chimney fire extinguisher, which is ignited on one end and basically puts out chimney fires by using up all of the oxygen, had no packaging on it to say it was a tool. The woman called police at around 2:30 p.m. Saturday and after finding out the item was not dangerous was relieved, and a little embarrassed.
“She did the right thing” by calling, Edwards said, adding it’s always better to err on the side of caution, especially when it comes to explosives. (Nok-Noi Ricker, BDN)