NORWAY, Maine — A mattress fire at a rooming house in Norway over the weekend is being investigated as arson.
Investigators say two police officers who dragged the burning mattress from the King Street rooming house just before midnight Saturday probably saved the residents from serious injury or even death.
Fire Chief Dennis Yates said the mattress was blocking the entrance and is believed to have been intentionally set on fire.
The Maine fire marshal’s office is investigating.
The two police officers and one resident were taken to Stephens Memorial Hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation.
The building was damaged by smoke. The Red Cross is assisting the residents.