OWLS HEAD, Maine — An early morning fire Thursday destroyed a barn with an upstairs apartment and damaged the nearby home.
Crews from four departments battled the fire for several hours. There were no injuries.
The fire was called in at about 3 a.m. by the homeowner, according to Owls Head Fire Chief Frank Ross. When crews arrived at 24 Great Marsh Lane, located off Route 73, the two-story barn was completely engulfed in flames.
The tenant who lived in the apartment over the barn, who is a fisherman, was not at home when the fire occurred, he said.
The house and barn are owned by Edward and Daphne Ripley, according to town assessment records. The barn was valued at $108,000.
The fire also spread to a section of the adjacent house, the fire chief noted. He said there was moderate damage to the one section of the house. The property was insured.
The chief said this was the first fire in Owls Head since a new mutual aid agreement was reached last year with local fire departments. Under the new system, Rockland and South Thomaston crews will respond when a structure fire is called in without waiting for a crew to arrive to assess whether additional help is needed.
St. George firefighters also responded to the fire. The home is located at the end of a winding dirt road.
Ross said it took about an hour and a half to get the fire under control. Crews were all back to the fire station by 8 a.m.