BROOKLIN, Maine — A local man is being treated for burns at a Boston hospital after a suicide attempt went awry, according to police.
Carl C. Angell, 39, was severely injured in a vehicle fire that happened Wednesday morning behind the Brooklin Inn on Route 175, according to Stephen McCausland of Maine Department of Public Safety.
Angell had rigged a hose from the exhaust pipe of the car to the interior compartment in the hopes of asphyxiating himself but the car ended up overheating, McCausland said Thursday. A person at the inn reported the fire, and responding firefighters found Angell in the vehicle as they attempted to extinguish the flames, he said.
Angell was flown by LifeFlight helicopter to Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston for treatment of his burns.