NOBLEBORO, Maine — A two-story home and attached garage that burned to the ground Sunday night were damaged so totally it’s impossible to pinpoint the cause, according to the state fire marshal’s office.
Sgt. Kenneth Grimes, an investigator for the fire marshal, said Tuesday the fire started in the garage and quickly spread to the house but will go down as an “undetermined” cause because of the considerable damage. Grimes said the investigation is closed.
“At this particular moment there’s nothing to indicate it was anything other than an accident,” he said. “If new information were to come to light in the future, that would reopen the case.”
The fire was reported at about 9:15 p.m. Sunday, and by the time fire crews arrived both the house and garage were fully engulfed in flames. A short time later, the house collapsed on itself. Firefighters stayed at the scene through the night dousing hot spots and struggling to make sure the blaze didn’t spread into the surrounding woods.
The home, owned by William Squier, was destroyed, as were three vehicles parked in the yard. A fourth vehicle sustained serious heat damage. The Squier family, which includes children, lost nearly everything they owned but were not injured. The home, which was insured, was located atop a hill on Squiers Lane, which overlooks Damariscotta Lake.