November 22, 2017
Midcoast Latest News | Poll Questions | Charlie Rose | North Korea | Sexual Harassment

Fire significantly damages St. George home

By Stephen Betts, BDN Staff
Updated:

ST. GEORGE, Maine — A chimney fire spread Monday evening and caused considerable damage to a St. George home.

There were no injuries from the fire that occurred at the residence of Grace Machemer on Ice House Cove Road, according to Deputy Fire Chief Mike Smith.

The occupants of the house had smelled smoke during the day but around 6 p.m. a resident working on a computer noticed smoke coming out from between the mop board and floor. Smith said the fire had started in the chimney and then spread to the basement.

Though mostly caused by smoke and water, the damage was substantial and estimated at between $10,000 and $15,000, Smith said. The floorboards also had to be pulled out to get to the fire.

Crews remained at the home until 11 p.m.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like