Fire damages Bucksport bar

By Kevin Miller, BDN Staff
Posted April 17, 2012, at 6:56 p.m.

BUCKSPORT, Maine — Fire caused minor damage to a Bucksport watering hole early Tuesday morning.

A passerby reported flames at the Tozier’s II tavern on Route 1 just before 1 a.m. The bar had closed earlier and no one was in it at the time. A Bucksport police officer first on the scene used a fire extinguisher from his cruiser to slow the spread of the flames on an exterior wall until firefighters arrived several minutes later, Fire Chief Craig Bowden said Tuesday evening.

Firefighters quickly brought the flames under control. Bowden estimated the damage at $2,500 but said the situation could have been much worse had the fire not been spotted so quickly because the flames had already spread to the wall’s interior. The bar reopened Tuesday.

Bowden said the fire appears to have been sparked by the improper disposal of a cigarette or other smoking materials.

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/04/17/news/hancock/fire-damages-bucksport-bar/ printed on April 25, 2014