April 20, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Alex Gray | Bump Stocks | Ferry Fees

Holden man found hiding in grocery store ceiling last year faces new charges

By Judy Harrison, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — A Holden man who last year was found hiding in the ceiling tiles of a Hannaford Supermarket while he was on bath salts is facing new charges.

John Atwood, 30, appeared Tuesday before Superior Court Justice Kevin Cuddy at the Penobscot Judicial Center on charges of theft, operating after revocation and violation of bail conditions.

Atwood was arrested Sunday by Holden police after he stole two cigarette rolling machines from the Circle K and drove away, according to Brendan Trainor, assistant district attorney for Penobscot County.

The theft and driving violations were elevated to felonies because of Atwood’s record, Trainor told the judge.

Cuddy ordered that Atwood be held without bail on the new charges at the Penobscot County Jail until a hearing can be held next month on a motion to revoke his bail. After that hearing is held, Atwood could post $500 cash bail on the new charges, the judge said.

When he was arrested Sunday, Atwood was on postconviction bail and awaiting sentencing in June on a charge of aggravated criminal mischief which stemmed from the November incident at the grocery store on Wilson Street in Brewer.

His sentencing was delayed to give him time to pay $3,300 in restitution, Trainor said Tuesday.

Atwood told the judge that he has paid the restitution. Trainor said he could not confirm that from court documents.

The Holden man used a shopping cart to break into the Hannaford supermarket in order to hide from imaginary people that he believed were after him, Brewer police said last year.

“The large front window was broken and ceiling tiles were pulled down,” Lt. Chris Martin said.

Cpl. Nelson Feero and other officers found Atwood hiding in the ceiling, Martin said.

Atwood faces up to five years in prison and a fine of up to $5,000 on the aggravated criminal mischief charge. If convicted on the theft and operating after revocation charges, he faces the same punishment and fine.

On the violation of bail charge, Atwood faces up to six months in jail and a fine of up to $1,000.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like