April 22, 2018
Mid-Maine Latest News | Poll Questions | Barbara Bush | Susan Collins | Stoned Pets

Unattended candle blamed for fire at Colby College dormitory

By Ryan McLaughlin, BDN Staff

WATERVILLE, Maine — An unattended candle that was left burning on a bureau in a Colby College dorm room was blamed for a Thursday morning fire that forced the evacuation of a building known as the East Quad.

Captain Jeff Brazier of the Waterville Fire Department said the fire broke out just before 10 a.m. Thursday, and working sprinklers in the building kept it from spreading.

“The sprinkler system did its job,” Brazier told the Bangor Daily News on Friday morning.

All students who were in the building at the time were evacuated, according to Brazier. The three students who share the room were not in it when the fire broke out, he added.

Some aerosol cans and cosmetics were located on top of the bureau where the candle was burning, Brazier said, and some clothes that were on the floor caught fire.

About 20 Waterville firefighters were dispatched to the scene while Fairfield firefighters stood by at the Waterville station.

Colby students are not allowed to have candles in their dorm rooms, according to Brazier.

No students or firefighters were injured.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like