Lewiston landlord not responsible in lead poisoning of 7-year-old tenant

The Associated Press
Posted March 28, 2012, at 10:08 a.m.

AUBURN, Maine — A jury has ruled that a Lewiston landlord was not responsible for a child tenant’s lead poisoning.

The jury determined after three and a half hours of deliberation that Double Eagle Properties LLC shouldn’t be held liable for the elevated blood-lead levels of the now 7-year-old boy, who according to his parents’ lawyer, has behavioral problems, a lowered IQ and learning disabilities.

A lawyer for the boy’s parents argued that the building’s owners should have replaced windows in the apartment that created dust that contained lead paint. They were asking for $11 million.

The Sun Journal reported that the lawyer called the verdict “really unfortunate.”

A lawyer for the defendants say the owners complied with all local, state and federal legal requirements regarding lead paint.

 

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/03/28/news/lewiston-auburn/lewiston-landlord-not-liable-in-lead-poisoning-of-7-year-old-tenant/ printed on October 1, 2014