Lewiston landlord not responsible in lead poisoning of 7-year-old tenant

Posted March 28, 2012, at 10:08 a.m.

AUBURN, Maine — A jury has ruled that a Lewiston landlord was not responsible for a child tenant’s lead poisoning.

The jury determined after three and a half hours of deliberation that Double Eagle Properties LLC shouldn’t be held liable for the elevated blood-lead levels of the now 7-year-old boy, who according to his parents’ lawyer, has behavioral problems, a lowered IQ and learning disabilities.

A lawyer for the boy’s parents argued that the building’s owners should have replaced windows in the apartment that created dust that contained lead paint. They were asking for $11 million.

The Sun Journal reported that the lawyer called the verdict “really unfortunate.”

A lawyer for the defendants say the owners complied with all local, state and federal legal requirements regarding lead paint.

 

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Lewiston-Auburn