October 19, 2017
Aroostook Latest News | Poll Questions | Haunted Maine | Obamacare | National Anthem Protests

Comments for: Fire that destroyed three historic Fort Kent buildings under investigation

FORT KENT, Maine – An investigator from the state fire marshal’s office was in Fort Kent on Sunday after an early morning fire destroyed three historic buildings on West Main Street. “The cause of the fire is under investigation,” Tim Lowell, senior investigator said. Read More
Guidelines for posting on bangordailynews.com

The Bangor Daily News and the Bangor Publishing Co. encourage comments about stories, but you must follow our terms of service.

  1. Keep it civil and stay on topic
  2. No vulgarity, racial slurs, name-calling or personal attacks.
  3. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked.
The primary rule here is pretty simple: Treat others with the same respect you'd want for yourself. Here are some guidelines (see more):

  • Sue

    So sad to see historic buildings destroyed, but am so glad everyone made it out safely.
    Thanks to all the firefighters and other responders that did such a great job!

    As an aside, I see there was mutual aid from departments in New Brunswick. I hope they didn’t have to stop at Customs and show their passports. 8-/

  • Anonymous

    From the time the fire started and all the damage accumulated as fast as it did, reminds me of a part of the reasoning at the the time the City of Bangor began their Urban Renewal Program in the 1960’s.  The prime mover was to rid the city of old buildings which had poor sewer piping, poor electrical wiring of old, the floors were creaky and rotting, and the tinderbox beams and joists in the buildings which were dry as the Sahara.  Another historic building set suffered the same fire destruction in Presque Isle on State Street, in 1962 when, following renovation and housing apartments, an S&H Green Stamp store and the IRS office – that too, went up in flames (discovered that the owner of the buildings set the fire and claimed insurance money).  It IS sad to see historic structures go like this, and the face of so many people losing their possessions and homes at the same time.  Could be these buildings were renovated to bring them up to code, but if these blazes were set by an arsonist, hope that person is caught and put in jail for life.

  • Those old buildings burn quick. No fire blocks in the walls, no fire rated sheetrock anywhere, no fire walls, no sprinklers!

  • Anonymous

    Such a tragedy, I’m so glad everyone got out alive.  )-;

  • Anonymous

    So very sad!  I have faith that the “Little Town That Could,” will again…  Just sit back and watch as that amazing community takes care of its own and then pays it forward…

  • Anonymous

    First thankfully nobody was hurt. But if it wasn’t for a fortunate text message that woke her up, would Ms. Roy have been a statistic? The people of all volunteer fire departments are some of the most dedicated individuals in the world. They will drop everything anytime duty calls. You cannot thank them enough.

    But Ms. Roy’s quote:“I looked out and a fireman saw me and I saw him signal to another
    fireman,” Roy said. “The other fireman ran over and pulled the door open
    and pulled me out.” Raises a concern for me. At the time of that quote, obviously the incident assessment had already been made, fire hose lines had been set and water flowing. This process would take a minimum 15 minutes to establish. First assessment is always to fight an offensive strategy and attempt to save whatever you can. ALSO as part of that initial response strategy is for at least 2 firefighters access any building of immediate threat and assess and rescue any occupants. This did not happen.

    Now the Nadeau building was a total loss when fire fighters arrived. But the attached structure was not but was an immediate threat. I hope that the new Chief assesses this incident response because there was one major life threatening failure. God bless them all.

You may also like