June 18, 2018
Mid-Maine Latest News | Poll Questions | Susan Collins | Tiny House Surprise | Stephen King

Anson man faces long sentence after pleading guilty to rape

Mike Beaulieu
By Ed Palattella, Erie Times-News

A Maine man’s 32-page rap sheet has helped guarantee he will get at least 37 years in federal prison for kidnapping and raping a 20-year-old woman near Kinzua Dam in 2010.
Mike Beaulieu, 37, of Anson, Maine, pleaded guilty to two felonies on Wednesday in U.S. District Court in Erie, which has jurisdiction because the rape and kidnapping occurred in the Allegheny National Forest, in Warren County.
Beaulieu’s prior record is so lengthy that his criminal-history score is the highest possible in the federal court system. That score, as well as the violent nature of his crimes, boosted his possible sentence to 37 years to life, according to the federal sentencing guidelines detailed in court. His base sentence was seven years to life.
U.S. District Judge Sean J. McLaughlin accepted the plea and set sentencing for July 26. Beaulieu, who said he suffers from a bipolar disorder, is incarcerated.
When he was charged in the rape in mid-August 2010, Beaulieu’s rap sheet in Maine was 32 pages long, and included convictions for crimes such as rape, arson, escape and domestic-violence assault, according to a report in the Bangor Daily News. Beaulieu is from Anson, about 65 miles west of Bangor.
The crimes on the rap sheet dated back to 1994, when Beaulieu was 19 years old, the Bangor Daily News reported.
Beaulieu, indicted in 2010, pleaded guilty to kidnapping and carrying a firearm during a crime of violence. He also admitted to raping the woman and tying up and gagging her 23-year-old boyfriend with rope and duct tape. Those allegations were incorporated into the two charges he pleaded guilty to, as part of a plea deal.
The couple had been visiting the Kinzua Point Information Center to go on a picnic when Beaulieu confronted them with a .45-caliber Kimber handgun on Aug. 3, 2010, Assistant U.S. Attorney Marshall Piccinini said.
He said Beaulieu told the woman that he was “going to kill himself and was going to rape someone before he died.”
Beaulieu let the woman go after raping her, and she followed the sounds of traffic to find a road, flag down a motorist and contact police, Piccinini said. He said the woman said the rapist’s car had Maine plates, and that police in Maine used a composite drawing to identify Beaulieu as the suspect.
Police found him on Aug. 10, 2010, after the chief in Fort Kent, Maine, spotted his car near the St. John River, part of the U.S.-Canadian border.
The Royal Canadian Mounted Police arrested Beaulieu near the border, in New Brunswick, Piccinini said in court. He said Beaulieu crossed the river in a canoe. Investigators with the U.S. Forest Service, the Pennsylvania State Police and the U.S. Marshals Service also worked on the case.

© 2012 the Erie Times-News (Erie, Pa.)
Distributed by MCT Information Services

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like