May 20, 2018
Aroostook Latest News | Poll Questions | Concussions | Maine Media College | Boston Red Sox

Caribou man jailed for assaulting teen

By Jen Lynds, BDN Staff

HOULTON, Maine — A Caribou man convicted of assaulting a 15-year-old boy last year while he was intoxicated was sent to jail after a brief court hearing Wednesday.

Scott Silva, 31, was handed the sentence in Aroostook County Superior Court by Justice E. Allen Hunter. He was charged with criminal trespass, assault and disorderly conduct and pleaded guilty to each one. Silva was sentenced to seven months in jail with all but five days suspended on the assault charge, along with a $300 fine. He also was sentenced to five days in jail on the criminal trespass charge and 48 hours in jail on the disorderly conduct charge, both to be served concurrent with the initial sentence.

The victim was in court with his grandfather.

Aroostook County Assistant District Attorney John Pluto said Wednesday that the victim was outside riding his bicycle when Silva, who was intoxicated and had taken prescription medications, ran up and knocked him to the ground.

The defendant believed that the 15-year-old had stolen the bike from his son. Pluto said that Silva began choking the teen in front of his siblings. He then chased the boy into his home and shoved him into a chair at the kitchen table. He was subdued by the victim’s grandfather and forced out of the home.

In court Wednesday, the victim’s grandfather addressed the court. He told Hunter that he was shocked by what he saw.

The man said that he heard a commotion and walked into the room to see Silva standing over his grandson. He said that Silva had shoved the teen so hard into the chair that it had bumped into the kitchen table and knocked it back 3 feet.

“To me, he was more than just intoxicated,” the grandfather said. “He tackled my grandson. It seemed like he was hallucinating. He beat him up and I had to take him to the hospital that night.”

The grandfather said that he was able to talk to Silva and convince him to go outside. When Silva walked out, the grandfather shoved the door closed behind him.

“My grandchildren had to watch that,” he said of the attack and its aftermath. “He was resisting arrest and the police were ready to Taser him. It has been a nightmare. It was totally unprovoked. I had never seen this guy in my life and neither had my grandkids.”

The man said that he believed that Silva needed residential treatment.

“If he did that to my grandson, he could do it to any kid when he is free,” he said.

Silva apologized for his actions and acknowledged that he was drunk that day. He told Hunter that he was undergoing treatment and had no excuse for what he did, calling it a “horrible thing.”

“I was taking several different medications and they were not working well,” he said.

The boy’s grandfather said that he wanted to make sure that Silva stayed away from his entire family.

“I am his legal guardian because his mother died,” he said of his relationship with his grandson. “We didn’t need this.”

Silva also must pay $151 restitution to MaineCare and cannot have any contact with the victim and his family and cannot go near their schools or places of work. He cannot use or possess alcohol or other drugs and must undergo a substance abuse evaluation and comply with the resulting recommendations. He also must take all medications as prescribed.

After his sentencing, Silva was taken immediately to the Aroostook County Jail in Houlton.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like