Short circuit in fire suppression system blamed for coating customers in powder at Skowhegan gas station

The Associated Press
Posted March 20, 2012, at 12:02 p.m.

SKOWHEGAN, Maine — Authorities say a short circuit in the wiring of a fire suppression system at a Skowhegan gas station is to blame for coating vehicles and customers with a white powder that sent at least three people to the hospital with breathing problems.

Fire Chief Tom Keene tells the Morning Sentinel there was no fire and the release was not the result of human error.

About 50 nozzles in the roof over the fuel-pumping area at the Irving Circle K station sent a powerful plume of white powder over people and cars just after noon on Sunday.

Keene says the powder is not considered toxic.

He says one woman was taken to the hospital by ambulance and two others went by private vehicle. All had respiratory complaints.

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/03/20/news/mid-maine/short-circuit-in-fire-suppression-system-blamed-for-coating-customers-in-powder-at-skowhegan-gas-station/ printed on December 21, 2014