June 22, 2018
Mid-Maine Latest News | Poll Questions | Border Patrol | Energy Scam | Toxic Moths

Fire extinguisher at Skowhegan gas station accidentally coats customers in white powder

The Associated Press

SKOWHEGAN, Maine — Authorities are trying to figure out what caused a Skowhegan gas station’s fire-suppression system to discharge, sending one woman to the hospital in an ambulance with respiratory problems.

There was no fire reported at the Irving Circle K station, yet about 50 nozzles in the roof over the fuel-pumping area sent a powerful plume of white powder over people and cars just after noon on Sunday.

Skowhegan Fire Chief Tom Keene says the powder is not considered toxic but can cause temporary breathing problems.

Keene tells the Morning Sentinel one woman was taken to the hospital by ambulance and two others went by private vehicle. All had respiratory complaints.

He spoke with a technician from the fire extinguisher company, who did not know what happened.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like