Accused child sex offender from Searsport may have other victims

By Abigail Curtis, BDN Staff
Posted March 16, 2012, at 6:39 p.m.

SEARSPORT, Maine — Police are searching for more potential victims of a Searsport man who was charged this week with sex crimes against three Waldo County children.

Brian Doucette, 31, is accused of crimes that include visual sexual aggression, unlawful sexual contact and sexual misconduct. His alleged victims are 11, 9 and 6 years old.

“We suspect these are not his only victims,” Stephen McCausland, Maine State Police spokesman, said Friday.

Doucette lived in the Mariner Woods housing complex in Searsport until last July, but his last known address is in Buxton.

Officials from the Maine State Police Criminal Investigative Division charged him this week with a total of seven counts of Class C felonies, each of which is punishable by up to 5 years in jail and up to a $5,000 fine. Doucette also was charged with one count of unlawful sexual touching, a Class D misdemeanor crime.

According to a Maine State Police report detailing the investigation, state police were contacted on March 6 by a concerned family member of the children who believed there had been possible sexual abuse by Doucette. Police then learned that the Waldo County Sheriff’s Office was investigating a report that a different 9-year-old girl said that Doucette had “asked her for sex last summer.”

Doucette had denied that allegation and asked police for a polygraph, a Waldo County detective told state police.

When Detective Scott Bryant of the Maine State Police interviewed the three children who allegedly had been victimized by Doucette, they each detailed criminal activity that had happened to them.

The 11-year-old told police that Doucette had exposed his genitals to him and began touching himself while the child was playing video games. He then told the child not to tell anyone about what happened. Doucette allegedly touched himself in front of the child two more times and also requested that he be allowed to touch the child’s genitals. When the child refused, Doucette said he would never touch the child without permission, according to the report.

Doucette allegedly touched the 9-year-old girl in her “private area” over her clothing on at least two occasions, according to the police report.

He also allegedly exposed his genitals to the 6-year-old victim.

When Bryant interviewed Doucette at the Buxton Police Department, the suspect told the detective that the older child may have caught him touching himself while at the computer at his Searsport apartment. He denied the other allegations but said that he may have touched the younger girls while he was “sleeping or ‘half-asleep,’” according to the report.

Doucette filed a request for indigent status with the state, stating that he is disabled and does not work. He remained held Friday in police custody at Two Bridges Regional Jail in Wiscasset. His bail was set at $25,000 surety or $5,000 cash.

Anyone with knowledge about other potential victims is encouraged to contact state police in Augusta at 624-7076 and ask for Bryant.

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/03/16/news/midcoast/accused-child-sex-offender-from-searsport-may-have-other-victims/ printed on July 30, 2014