Police leave scene of fatal Lamoine shooting, wait to hear injured man’s side of story

The investigation continued Monday, March 12, 2012, around this Lamoine home where four people were shot Sunday morning.
Gabor Degre | BDN
The investigation continued Monday, March 12, 2012, around this Lamoine home where four people were shot Sunday morning.
By Nick McCrea, BDN Staff
Posted March 16, 2012, at 6:34 p.m.

LAMOINE, Maine — State police continue to sift through evidence as they wait for a man critically injured in a Lamoine shooting early last Sunday to recover enough to tell his part of the story, according to state police spokesman Stephen McCausland.

“I don’t think there will be any new developments over the weekend,” McCausland said Friday.

Police have left the scene of the shooting at 749 Douglas Highway, where they had been combing the property for evidence for most of the week.

“It was a complicated scene with many players,” McCausland said.

Investigators are still trying to put the players and pieces together to determine what exactly happened that Sunday morning March 11 leading up to the shooting that left one man dead and three others with gunshot wounds.

Police have yet to charge or arrest anyone in connection with the incident, McCausland said.

Lawrence “Randy” Sinclair, 32, his brother Jacob Sinclair, 24, Torrey Garland, 34, and Joshua McKinney, 25, arrived at the Hancock County home of Michael Carter, 30, and Tacy Mullins, 22, at around 4:30 a.m. Sunday, according to police.

Randy Sinclair was mortally shot in the head with a gun and died later that day at Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor. His friends, Garland and McKinney, along with Carter, also were shot and wounded during the incident.

Garland and Carter also were taken to EMMC, where Garland has been in critical condition and unable to share his account of the shooting, McCausland said. No information is available about Carter, a hospital spokesman said Friday.

Garland’s story is still “one of the missing pieces” for police, according to McCausland.

One gun was collected as evidence, but police are not saying what type of weapon it is or whether it was the only weapon used, McCausland said earlier this week.

McKinney was treated at Maine Coast Memorial Hospital in Ellsworth and later released, a hospital representative said Wednesday.

Jacob Sinclair and Mullins were not injured in the quadruple shooting on Douglas Highway, the local name for Route 184. The dead man’s brother has indicated the Ellsworth group went to Lamoine to resolve some sort of dispute.

The home is owned by Mullins’ mother, Juanita Mullins.

Sinclair was a lifetime Hancock County resident who started working as a carpenter for his family’s construction business after graduating Ellsworth High School. He was an avid sports fan who enjoyed researching Bigfoot, according to an obituary published in the Bangor Daily News on Friday.

He was close to his family, especially his siblings, the obituary states.

Visiting hours are scheduled noon-5 p.m. Saturday at the Ellsworth chapel of Bragdon-Kelley Funeral Homes. The Rev. Bob Maddocks will officiate the funeral service at 1 p.m. Monday at the funeral home’s chapel.

BDN reporter Nok-Noi Ricker contributed to this report.

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/03/16/news/hancock/police-leave-scene-of-fatal-lamoine-shooting-wait-to-hear-injured-mans-side-of-story/ printed on August 22, 2014