Caribou father, son plead not guilty to federal drug charges

Posted March 02, 2012, at 7:05 p.m.

BANGOR, Maine — A father and son from Caribou pleaded not guilty Friday in U.S. District Court to drug charges.

Charles Bernard, 68, and Shawn Bernard, 29, were indicted last month by the federal grand jury on one count each of the importation of controlled substances.

Each was released on unsecured $10,000 bail with one of the conditions being that he not leave the state.

The Bernards allegedly brought oxycodone into Maine from Canada on Aug. 31.

Their arraignments, originally scheduled to be held Wednesday, were delayed until Friday after Shawn Bernard had a “medical emergency,” according to court documents.

The father and son were late arriving at federal court in Bangor because they went to Canada on Friday morning. On the way back, they were referred for a secondary inspection at the Limestone border, which delayed them, Assistant U.S. Attorney Joel Casey told U.S. Magistrate Judge Margaret Kravchuk.

Both men told the judge they would not return to Canada.

If convicted, each man faces up to 20 years in prison and a fine of up to $1 million.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Aroostook