STEUBEN, Maine — A house fire Thursday afternoon in Steuben remains under investigation, but is thought to have been sparked by a problem with the chimney.
No one was home when the fire at 114 Tunk Road was reported at 4:17 p.m., Steuben Fire Chief Adelbert Pinkham said. The house is owned by Karen Leighton, who lives there with her two children.
“It appears to have started on the outside of the house,” Pinkham said Friday. “It pretty much ruined the kitchen area and outside walls, and it did get into the eaves. It’s repairable, but not habitable now.”
Volunteer firefighters from Cherryfield, Milbridge and Steuben were on the scene until 7:30 p.m.