May 26, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Memorial Day | Bangor Day Trips | Center for Wildlife

Man arrested after screaming at officer for lack of arrests, police say

Bangor Police Department | BDN
Bangor Police Department | BDN
James Labarr
By Nok-Noi Ricker, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — About 15 minutes after a man was asked to leave and was escorted out of Benjamin’s After Dark bar on Franklin Street Tuesday night, he was involved in a fight on First Street, Bangor police Sgt. Paul Edwards said Wednesday.

James Labarr, 23, of Bangor told Officer Taylor Bagley that he had been jumped by two people at around 9:30 p.m. on First Street, but after interviewing the others involved, Bagley decided against charging anyone.
That is when Labarr got mad, Edwards said.

“Off he went screaming and hollering,” the sergeant said.

Labarr was given a disorderly conduct warning, but kept yelling and swearing at Bagley for not arresting the persons he said jumped him, Edwards said. After continuing to scream at the officer, Labarr was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct and taken to the Penobscot County Jail.

Labarr is no stranger to police. He was arrested in February 2011 after he brought a knife into the Main Tavern in downtown Bangor and was charged with carrying a concealed weapon and trafficking in dangerous knives, Edwards said at the time.

In April 2011, Labarr was convicted of trafficking in dangerous knives and ordered to pay a $150 fine, according to court reports printed in the Bangor Daily News.

Labarr’s criminal history includes convictions for unlawful sexual touching, violating conditions of release, harassment by telephone and assault on an officer, the BDN listings state.

The assault on an officer charge stemmed from an incident in September 2007 when he spit in the face of two corrections officers at the Waldo County Jail while being held for violating bail conditions for making harassing telephone calls while out on bail for the unlawful sexual touching charge. He was sentenced to two years and two months in prison for the spitting and got six months for the sexual touching.

Labarr’s first appearance in court on the disorderly conduct charge was scheduled for Wednesday afternoon at the Penobscot Judicial Center. (Nok-Noi Ricker, BDN)


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like