Heat lamp sparks barn fire in Palmyra

By Alex Barber, BDN Staff
Posted Feb. 13, 2012, at 4 p.m.

PALMYRA, Maine — A fire started by a heat lamp burned a barn to the ground early Monday morning.

“It must have been burning for quite a while because when we arrived the building had already collapsed,” said Amanda Chretien, a Newport firefighter and EMS director.

No people was in the barn but some chickens were lost in the fire, she said. The Newport Fire Department got the call at 1:55 a.m.

“It appears the homeowner put some fresh hay in the barn that had chickens in it. The owner put a heat lamp in there to keep them warm overnight. That’s where it started,” Chretien said.

The barn, located at 1096 Main St. on U.S. Route 2, was fairly empty, she said. Most of the items that were in the barn had been sold at a real estate auction. The barn measured 30 feet by 30 feet.

A Pittsfield firefighter was hurt slipping on ice, said Chretien. No one else was injured.

Newport, Corinna, Pittsfield and Detroit fire crews responded.

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/02/13/news/mid-maine/heat-lamp-sparks-barn-fire-in-palmyra/ printed on July 28, 2014