11 chickens die, one survives in Oxford coop fire

Oxford firefighters extinguish the remains of a chicken coop fire just after 6 a.m. Thursday at 54 Mechanic Falls Road in Oxford.
Chuck Blaquiere
Oxford firefighters extinguish the remains of a chicken coop fire just after 6 a.m. Thursday at 54 Mechanic Falls Road in Oxford.
Posted Feb. 10, 2012, at 5:39 a.m.

OXFORD, Maine — Firefighters extinguished the remains of a chicken coop fire just after 6 a.m. Thursday at 54 Mechanic Falls Road.

Capt. Shawn Cordwell of the Oxford Fire Department said it appears a heat lamp in the coop ignited the fire, which killed 11 of the 12 chickens in the coop.

Heat from the fire melted siding at the home of the coop’s owner, Tammy Exel, but firefighters kept the flames from spreading beyond the coop.

The Poland Fire Department assisted.

To see more from the Sun Journal, visit sunjournal.com.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Lewiston-Auburn