Fire displaces Gardiner couple, no injuries reported

By Ryan McLaughlin, BDN Staff
Posted Feb. 09, 2012, at 12:10 p.m.

GARDINER, Maine — A local couple was forced from their home Wednesday afternoon after a fire broke out in their bedroom, causing extensive damage.

Fire Chief Michael Minkowski told the Bangor Daily News Thursday morning the fire started in a bedroom at the back of a trailer being rented by Kevin and Tracy Sansouci, but the blaze was contained quickly thanks to fast response by authorities.

“The firefighters made a really good aggressive stop and contained it to that back bedroom,” said Minkowski.

The chief said the trailer suffered between $7,000 and $10,000 worth of damage, and the couple didn’t have insurance on it, aside from liability insurance. He thinks the home can be repaired, however.

Minkowski said there was heavy smoke in the bedroom and “flames on the mattress area.” Crews from Gardiner and Richmond responded.

The Sansoucis are staying with friends in the area, according to Minkowski. No injuries were reported.

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/02/09/news/augusta/fire-displaces-gardiner-couple-no-injuries-reported/ printed on September 19, 2014