BANGOR, Maine — A local man who was wanted in Cumberland County for violating his probation associated with a robbery and burglary conviction lied to police about his name last week in a failed attempt to escape arrest, Bangor police Sgt. Paul Edwards said Monday.
Antonio V. Pinto, 31, of Bangor was at Barnaby’s nightclub on Feb. 2. He was questioned by Officer Taylor Bagley as the Odlin Road bar was closing and provided a fake name, the sergeant said.
Bagley found Pinto’s correct information in his computer and arrested him on two outstanding Cumberland County warrants and for refusing to provide a correct name, Edwards said.
Pinto has a history of arrests and convictions that date back to when he first became an adult and was convicted of robbery and assault of an 82-year-old man in November 1998 at Bass Park in Bangor, according to Bangor Daily News archives.
While incarcerated in April 1999 awaiting trial, Pinto set fire to a cell at the Penobscot County Jail and was charged with arson. He was sentenced to 17 years in prison with all but seven years suspended for his part in the robbery and assault and was given an additional five-year concurrent sentence for the arson, the BDN listings state.
His recent Penobscot County convictions include assault and criminal threatening in January 2010 that sent him to prison for 11 months, according to the BDN archives.
Details about the Cumberland County robbery and burglary were not available.
Pinto should not be confused with a man with the same name — but who is three years younger and has a different middle name — who went to prison for the 2002 armed robbery of Lucky’s Market on Center Street, Edwards said.
Pinto remained at the Penobscot County Jail on Tuesday on a probation hold, a jail official said.