June 21, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Family Separations | Boston TV | LePage Troops

Three-vehicle crash near Brewer-Bangor bridge sends Milford man to hospital

Gabor Degre | BDN
Gabor Degre | BDN
Three vehicles collided at the intersection of Washington Street and Oak Street in Bangor on Tuesday afternoon.
By Dawn Gagnon, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — Speed and intersection activity were cited as factors in a three-vehicle accident Tuesday afternoon that sent a Milford man to the hospital for treatment of neck pain.

Injured was David Curtis, 48, of Milford, Bangor police Officer Eric Tourtelotte said Tuesday evening. Curtis was taken to St. Joseph Hospital, where he was treated and then released, a hospital nursing supervisor said.

Tourtelotte said the accident occurred about 3:15 p.m. at the intersection of Oak and Washington streets, near the Penobscot Bridge.

James Williamson, 20, of Brewer was driving a black GMC pickup truck on Oak Street when a vehicle ahead of him changed lanes. The vehicle had blocked Williamson’s view of a Chevrolet Equinox that was stopped ahead of him waiting to make a left turn onto Washington Street, Tourtelotte said.

Williamson was unable to stop in time to avoid a collision and rear-ended the Equinox, pushing it into the intersection, where it was struck by an older model GMC FairPoint Communications utility truck driven by Curtis, Tourtelotte said. Curtis was crossing from Brewer to Bangor over the Penobscot Bridge, he said.

Accident reconstruction measurements taken at the crash scene indicated that Williamson was driving faster than the 25 mph posted speed limit, Tourtelotte said.

The driver of the Equinox, 32-year-old Robyn Straubel of Hermon, complained of pain after the accident but did not require a trip to the hospital, he said.

Four children — ages 5, 6, 7 and 11 — who were riding in the Equinox were not injured, the officer said. He said that a male passenger in Williamson’s truck, whose name and age were not immediately available, also escaped injury.

Both of the trucks involved in the accident had significant front-end damage, Tourtelotte said. The Equinox had heavy damage to its front and rear ends, he said.

The accident caused traffic in the area to back up for more than half an hour.

Tourtelotte said no charges are anticipated in connection with the crash.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like