November 24, 2017
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Black Friday | Michael Flynn | Net Neutrality

Burned shrimp to blame for fire call in Newport

By Alex Barber, BDN Staff
Updated:
Alex Barber | BDN
Alex Barber | BDN
Fire crews responded to reported smoke at the Newport Inn on Main Street in Newport on Friday, Feb. 3, 2012. A pot of burnt shrimp was to blame for the smoke. No one was injured.

NEWPORT, Maine — Fire crews responded to a report of smoke at the Newport Inn on Main Street on Friday evening, only to find it was caused by a pot of burned shrimp.

“Upon arrival, we found rooms full of smoke. People were coming out as I arrived and told me they had smoke,” said Newport Assistant Fire Chief Rick Turner.

“Come to find out, it was a pot of burnt shrimp,” he said. “That’s all it was, which is a good thing.”

Fire crews from Corinna and Dexter also went to the elderly housing apartment complex a little after 6 p.m. No one was hurt.

“Once we got inside and found out what it was, we opened up the windows and got a bunch of fans going to suck out all the smoke,” said Turner. “When you take a building that’s 100 years old and has been renovated, you never know.”

Fire crews closed a portion of Route 2 in front of the Newport Inn, but had it reopened within a half-hour.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like