Burned shrimp to blame for fire call in Newport

Fire crews responded to reported smoke at the Newport Inn on Main Street in Newport on Friday, Feb. 3, 2012. A pot of burnt shrimp was to blame for the smoke. No one was injured.
Fire crews responded to reported smoke at the Newport Inn on Main Street in Newport on Friday, Feb. 3, 2012. A pot of burnt shrimp was to blame for the smoke. No one was injured. Buy Photo
Posted Feb. 03, 2012, at 7:24 p.m.
Last modified Feb. 03, 2012, at 9 p.m.

NEWPORT, Maine — Fire crews responded to a report of smoke at the Newport Inn on Main Street on Friday evening, only to find it was caused by a pot of burned shrimp.

“Upon arrival, we found rooms full of smoke. People were coming out as I arrived and told me they had smoke,” said Newport Assistant Fire Chief Rick Turner.

“Come to find out, it was a pot of burnt shrimp,” he said. “That’s all it was, which is a good thing.”

Fire crews from Corinna and Dexter also went to the elderly housing apartment complex a little after 6 p.m. No one was hurt.

“Once we got inside and found out what it was, we opened up the windows and got a bunch of fans going to suck out all the smoke,” said Turner. “When you take a building that’s 100 years old and has been renovated, you never know.”

Fire crews closed a portion of Route 2 in front of the Newport Inn, but had it reopened within a half-hour.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Bangor