Fire believed caused by wood stove guts home in Machias

Flames curl around the eaves and smoke pours out a window of this house at 8 Harwood Street in Machias on Monday morning.
Tom Walsh | BDN
Flames curl around the eaves and smoke pours out a window of this house at 8 Harwood Street in Machias on Monday morning.
Posted Jan. 09, 2012, at 11:56 a.m.
Last modified Jan. 09, 2012, at 5:36 p.m.
Marshfield firefighter Joe Ginn douses a house fire believed caused by a barrel-style stove at 8 Harwood Street in Machias on Monday morning.
Tom Walsh | BDN
Marshfield firefighter Joe Ginn douses a house fire believed caused by a barrel-style stove at 8 Harwood Street in Machias on Monday morning.
Smoke billows from a house fire believed caused by a barrel-style stove at a home at 8 Harwood Street in Machias on Monday morning.
Tom Walsh | BDN
Smoke billows from a house fire believed caused by a barrel-style stove at a home at 8 Harwood Street in Machias on Monday morning.

MACHIAS, Maine — A fire apparently sparked by a barrel-style wood stove heavily damaged a house at 8 Harwood St. in Machias on Monday morning.

Brothers Mark and Mike Crowley, who are both carpenters, bought the old, two-story frame house the day before the fire and had just moved their belongings from their previous home in Addison.

Both homeowners and their two golden retrievers got out safely, and no injuries were reported.

The house was not insured, according to Mike Crowley.

More than 20 firefighters from Machias, East Machias, Machiasport, Marshfield, Jonesboro and the Washington County Fire Service Strikeforce responded to the 8:30 a.m. alarm and were on the scene for more than two hours.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Down East