May 24, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Sharon Carrillo | Elver Season | Goat Airbnb

Electrical malfunction cited as cause of Brewer house fire

By Dawn Gagnon, BDN Staff

BREWER, Maine — An electrical problem involving a recently installed light fixture was cited as the cause of a fire at a residence Monday morning.

The fire at 23 Spring St. was reported about 9 a.m. by homeowner Kimberly Bouchard, who was able to get herself and her cat out of the house safely, Brewer fire Capt. Robbie Wildes said Monday.

When fire crews arrived, smoke was beginning to billow out of the front of Bouchard’s two-story house and a fire that began in a downstairs living room light fixture was working through the ceiling into a second-story bedroom closet directly above it, he said.

Damage from the fire was contained to the living room, which he said had extensive heat, smoke and water damage, and to the bedroom and closet, where the damage was lesser in scale, Wildes said.

Wildes said the house is insured. He did not have a dollar estimate for damage.

He said Bangor firefighters provided coverage until Brewer fire crews were able to return to their station.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like