Apartment fire displaces six in Augusta

By Alex Barber, BDN Staff
Posted Jan. 07, 2012, at 3:05 p.m.

AUGUSTA, Maine — A fire originating in the couch of a second-floor apartment displaced six tenants early Saturday morning.

The Augusta Fire Department responded to a report of a fire at 23 Drew St., a six-unit apartment building, at 4:36 a.m.

“The damage was pretty much confined to that one apartment,” said Augusta Fire Department Battalion Chief Steve Leach. “There was smoke and water damage to some of the other apartments below.”

Leach said the Red Cross has provided shelter at a local hotel for a few days.

“Improperly discarded smoking materials started in a living room couch” was the cause, said Leach.

“Everyone got out safe. There were no injuries to civilians or firefighters,” he said, adding that the Fire Department made it to the scene about four minutes after receiving the call from dispatch.

Leach said he thought the other five apartments would be able to be occupied again soon, but “it would be awhile” until the apartment where the fire started would be habitable again.

The Gardiner Fire Department sent an ambulance, and the Togus Fire Department sent an engine as backup.

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/01/07/news/augusta/apartment-fire-displaces-six-in-augusta/ printed on July 25, 2014