Carmel fire levels camp, owner found unhurt

Newburgh firefighters Adam Ayer (left) and Craig Stecher hose down the smoldering remains of a camp house at 568 Cook Road in Carmel that was leveled by a fire Monday morning, Dec. 19, 2011.
John Clarke Russ | BDN
Newburgh firefighters Adam Ayer (left) and Craig Stecher hose down the smoldering remains of a camp house at 568 Cook Road in Carmel that was leveled by a fire Monday morning, Dec. 19, 2011. Buy Photo
By Nok-Noi Ricker, BDN Staff
Posted Dec. 19, 2011, at 12:19 p.m.

CARMEL, Maine — A blaze that broke out Monday morning at a year-round camp on Cook Road leveled the structure, and the owner — who initially could not be located — was found safe, Carmel Fire Chief Mike Azevedo said.

“The gentleman who lives here is usually here. [He] doesn’t have a car,” the fire chief said from the scene just after 11 a.m. as firefighters applied water to the smoldering debris behind him.

“We can’t find him” but “there is no indication that there is somebody in there,” Azevedo said. “Rather than getting in there and tearing it apart, we’re waiting for the fire marshal.”

Homeowner David Adams later was located after a friend of a friend called a friend of a friend, the fire chief said.

“He left at about 7 o’clock this morning,” Azevedo said. “He was at work.”

A coffeepot is believed to have caused the fire, the fire chief said, adding he called the State Fire Marshal’s Office to investigate.

“A couple investigators are there now,” state fire investigator Sgt. Tim York said Monday afternoon. “It’s still under investigation and I don’t expect to have anything until tomorrow.”

Someone driving by the approximately 16-by-16-foot structure reported the blaze at around 10:20 a.m. and firefighters arrived shortly afterward.

“It was half burned when we got here,” Azevedo said. “It did a lot of damage and [the building] went up quick.”

A nearby neighbor was using a garden hose to help extinguish the flames when firefighters arrived, the fire chief said.

Firefighters from town, assisted by crews from Hermon, Stetson, Levant and Newburgh, quickly put out the flames, he said, adding no injures were reported.

Davis, who is staying with friends, told firefighters that he is missing two cats.

http://bangordailynews.com/2011/12/19/news/bangor/carmel-fire-levels-camp/ printed on August 21, 2014