Mattress fire sends Bangor man to hospital

By Dawn Gagnon, BDN Staff
Posted Dec. 16, 2011, at 10:41 p.m.

BANGOR, Maine — A fire that began in a mattress at a Hammond Street apartment building Friday night sent a male tenant to the hospital.

The tenant, whose name was not immediately available, was taken to Eastern Maine Medical Center for treatment of smoke inhalation, Assistant Chief Vance Tripp of the Bangor Fire Department said at the scene.

Tripp said it was not yet clear how the fire began but it burned a mattress and part of the flooring of a first floor apartment at 177 Hammond St., Tripp said. He estimated damage from the fire at $3,000 to $5,000 and said the State Fire Marshal’s Office has been called in to help pinpoint the fire’s cause.

According to Paul Newman of Bangor, the building’s owner, the building contains three apartments. He said none of the tenants were displaced as a result of the fire. He credited quick response by firefighters for preventing worse damage.

The fire prompted the temporary evacuation of the building’s tenants, who were allowed back inside shortly after 9 p.m.

http://bangordailynews.com/2011/12/16/news/bangor/mattress-fire-sends-bangor-man-to-hospital/ printed on August 20, 2014