April 23, 2018
Penobscot Latest News | Poll Questions | Barbara Bush | Susan Collins | Stoned Pets

Lincoln firefighters stop blaze that started in wall behind wood stove

By Nick Sambides Jr., BDN Staff

LINCOLN, Maine — Firefighters spent hours digging into walls to keep a fire from spreading beyond a utility room and wood stove area damaged in a blaze at a Transalpine Road home late Saturday, Fire Chief Phil Dawson said Monday.

No one was injured.

The incident began at about 9:53 p.m. when a resident reported smoke around a home at 85 Transalpine Road. When firefighters arrived, they found that a fire had burned into the unfinished ceiling of the house. They had the flames under control in about 20 minutes, Dawson said.

Then began the heavier work. With the fire having apparently ignited within a wall behind a wood stove, firefighters used an infrared camera and other tools to pry apart sections of wall that the camera read as hot or burning to check the fire’s spread and guard against reignition, Dawson said.

“They had to work from the point of origin, which was a wall behind a wood stove, to a utility room,” Dawson said Monday. “They had to check around the area and above it and remove some portions of the wall.”

How difficult or easy the work is “depends on the makeup of the structure. Sometimes it is very easy to get to, and sometimes it takes hours,” Dawson said.

“The guys always try to do the least amount of damage as possible,” Dawson said. “The camera always helps to find hot spots and cuts down on the amount of time on scene, as a rule, because you find it [fire] quicker and take care of it.”

The work can take awhile, Dawson said, because firefighters’ need to restore safety is always balanced against their desire to be as surgically precise as possible.

Firefighters left the house about 3½ hours after the fire was reported, Dawson said. Four trucks and 19 Lincoln firefighters fought the blaze. No reignition was reported.

Firefighters notified the American Red Cross, Dawson said, but the report on the incident did not say whether anyone used Red Cross services, which can include temporary relocation to an area hotel.

Reginald Paradis is the homeowner but Thomas Paradis lives there, Dawson said.

Investigators from the State Fire Marshal’s Office were not notified of the fire because firefighters saw nothing suspicious in the fire’s origins.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like