Declining participation, resignation of instructor ends drivers ed in SAD 29

Posted Dec. 08, 2011, at 8:57 p.m.

HOULTON, Maine — Slowly declining participation, competition from other local driving schools and the resignation of an instructor who taught the course for 46 years has spelled the end of the driver’s education course in SAD 29.

During the school board meeting earlier this week, Superintendent Mike Hammer said that Wayne Quint, who had taught the driving course for more than four decades, had resigned from the position.

Hammer said the number of students enrolling in the course had dropped over the past few years with the opening of several driving schools in the area. Students paid a set fee to enroll in the course, which was taught at the end of the school day.

There are no students signed up for instruction, according to Hammer.

The district still leases an instruction vehicle from a local dealership and Hammer has suggested that it continue to do so in order to use it for official school business trips so that the district does not have to reimburse employees for their mileage.

The board also officially accepted the resignation of Jason Tarr, who had been serving as principal of the Southside School in Houlton.

Tarr will be leaving the district at the end of the month to pursue other interests. He began working in SAD 29 in 2007.

Before the meeting ended, the board also approved a 2 percent raise for its administrators.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Aroostook