MADISON, Maine — An early morning fire that destroyed a one-story home may have been caused by a propane heater.
The Morning Sentinel reports a neighbor to the 174 Shusta Road home called 911 after noticing smoke and flames at 7:19 a.m., according to Madison fire Chief Roger Lightbody Sr.
No one was home at the time of the fire.
The home, which is insured, was considered a total loss, Lightbody told the Morning Sentinel.
Lightbody said Billy Jo Fuller lives in the house that is owned by her mother, Joann, who lives in Connecticut.
State Fire Marshal’s Office investigators believe a propane heater started the fire, Sgt. Ken Grimes told the Morning Sentinel.
Anson, Starks and Skowhegan fire departments assisted, Lightbody said.
A man from the Anson Fire Department was taken by ambulance to Redington-Fairview General Hospital in Skowhegan, where he was treated for dehydration and released, according to Grimes.