EASTBROOK, Maine — A fire Tuesday morning destroyed a home on Abbott Lane but did not result in any injuries, according to the local fire chief.
The fire was reported around 9:30 a.m., Eastbrook fire Chief Rick McNeil said Tuesday as firefighters doused the burning rubble of the home with water. He said he lives just down the road from the house and that, by the time he arrived, flames were coming out the windows and starting to break through the roof.
“The house was almost fully involved,” McNeil said.
No one was home at the time of the fire and no pets were in the house, he said.
The chief said that because of the size of the fire, which already was melting the vinyl siding of a neighboring mobile home, the biggest challenge was setting up a large enough water supply to spray on the flames. Many local firefighters were at work, he said, so he had to call for mutual aid from several surrounding towns. Ellsworth, Franklin, Hancock, Mariaville, Otis, Osborn, Sullivan and Waltham all sent tanker trucks and firefighters to the scene.
“Due to the time of day, we had a hard time getting water,” McNeil said.
The owners of the house, Stanley and Annette Neleski, also own the Eastbrook Variety Store on Route 200, according to the chief. He said he believes the home was insured and that the Neleskis were planning to stay in an apartment above the variety store. The Pine Tree Chapter of the American Red Cross has been notified, he added.
No one answered the phone at the store Tuesday afternoon.
McNeil said the state fire marshal’s office has been called to investigate how the fire started. He said he expected to be at the scene for several more hours Tuesday afternoon.