June 18, 2018
College sports Latest News | Poll Questions | Tiny House Surprise | Antiquing | Stephen King

River Hawks rally past slumping Maine for first sweep at Alfond since 1985

Gabor Degre/BDN | BDN
Gabor Degre/BDN | BDN
The University of Maine's Spencer Abbott (right) and UMass Lowell's Stephen Buco battle for the puck during the second period at Alfond Arena in Orono Saturday night.
By Larry Mahoney, BDN Staff

ORONO — The University of Massachusetts Lowell scored three third-period power-play goals and received the game-winner from sophomore defenseman Chad Ruhwedel with 34.4 seconds remaining to give the River Hawks a 4-3 men’s hockey win over the University of Maine Black Bears at Alfond Arena Saturday night.
UMass Lowell’s sweep in Orono was its first since 1985.
The River Hawks are 5-3 overall, 3-2 in Hockey East.
Maine lost its fourth straight and fell to 3-6-1 and 3-5.
Brian Flynn’s first-period goal and Mark Anthoine’s second-period goal staked Maine to a 2-0 lead but the Black Bears took three successive penalties and in the third period and Riley Wetmore tied it with a five-on-four goal and a five-on-three goal before Scott Wilson’s five-on-four power- play goal gave UML its first lead.
Joey Diamond tied it with 8:08 left but Ruhwedel received the puck in the neutral zone and broke in two-on-one before cutting across the slot and roofing a wrister over Maine goalie Dan Sullivan’s glove.
Flynn scored at the 12:17 mark of the first period and Anthoine extended the lead with 5:59 left in the second period.
The Black Bears hit two goalposts and a crossbar in between the goals.
Flynn opened the scoring when he positioned himself in the middle of the slot and tipped Will O’Neill’s wrister from the left point inside the post to the left of UMass Lowell goalie Doug Carr.
Mike Cornell made the pass across to O’Neill.
Anthoine snapped a 26-game goalless drought by breaking down the left side, slicing across the slot and stuffing a backhander past Carr.
Wetmore began the comeback by taking a David Vallorani pass in the middle of the slot and firing a wrister over Sullivan’s blocker.
Wetmore knotted it up when Derek Arnold’s wrister labeled for the far post deflected to him and he jammed it home.
Wilson made it 3-2 by maneuvering past two Black Bears and then snapping a wrister into the short side corner over Sullivan’s blocker.
Diamond tied it by tipping home an O’Neill wrister.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like