BANGOR, Maine — City officials announced Wednesday that they will recommence issuing permits to Bangor Gas for installation of natural gas lines because of significant progress the company has made in addressing previously unrepaired trenches.
“Bangor Gas has responded very quickly and has been filling trenches at the rate of about 40 per day since we ceased issuing permits to them last week,” Bangor Director of Public Services Art Morgan said in a news release. “Their progress has been significant enough that the City feels comfortable Bangor Gas can resume getting natural gas to homes that were counting on it for this heating season.”
The news release said that city officials were satisfied enough with the company’s progress on returning Bangor streets and right-of-ways to safe conditions and their detailed plans for addressing the issue in the future that they decided to allow an extension of the required completion date of Dec. 1.
Bangor Gas will have until Dec. 24 to complete this year’s permits, utilizing special techniques to permanently close the trenches in cold weather.