Portland seeks preparedness plans from Occupy Maine

Posted Nov. 08, 2011, at 5:22 a.m.
Last modified Nov. 22, 2011, at 1:54 p.m.

PORTLAND, Maine — The city of Portland wants Occupy Maine to produce a plan explaining how protesters will stay safe and warm in the coming weeks as temperatures drop.

Spokeswoman Nicole Clegg said a letter that was sent to protesters at Lincoln Park on Nov. 1 yielded no response. The city repeated its demand Monday.

Clegg said the letter asks for a fire, safety, medical and evacuation plan, as well as plans for staying warm and for stewardship of the park.

Occupy Maine in Portland has been at Monument Square and Lincoln Park since Sept. 30. John Branson, a lawyer representing Occupy Maine, said the group discussed winter weather at a general assembly last week. He said the city will receive a formal response Tuesday.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business