Berwick fire sends three to hospital

Posted Nov. 07, 2011, at 11:55 a.m.

BERWICK, Maine — A fire in the York County town of Berwick sent three people to the hospital Sunday morning.

The state fire marshal’s office determined that a child playing with the buttons on an electric stove started the blaze, sending the boy, his 80-year-old grandfather and another man to a Dover, N.H., hospital, Stephen McCausland of the Maine Department of Public Safety said Monday.

Rolly Tibbetts, 44, remains hospitalized with smoke inhalation, McCausland said, while Kenneth Tibbets, 80, and the 2-year-old boy were treated and released.

The fire caused extensive damage to the home on Old Pine Hill Road. The fire marshal’s office said the boy pushed the buttons on a stove in the basement of the house, and the stove was not unplugged. The burners ignited a photo copier that was sitting on top of the stove.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Portland