April 24, 2018
Portland Latest News | Poll Questions | Waffle House Hero | Royal Baby | Stoned Pets

Berwick fire sends three to hospital

By Ryan McLaughlin, BDN Staff

BERWICK, Maine — A fire in the York County town of Berwick sent three people to the hospital Sunday morning.

The state fire marshal’s office determined that a child playing with the buttons on an electric stove started the blaze, sending the boy, his 80-year-old grandfather and another man to a Dover, N.H., hospital, Stephen McCausland of the Maine Department of Public Safety said Monday.

Rolly Tibbetts, 44, remains hospitalized with smoke inhalation, McCausland said, while Kenneth Tibbets, 80, and the 2-year-old boy were treated and released.

The fire caused extensive damage to the home on Old Pine Hill Road. The fire marshal’s office said the boy pushed the buttons on a stove in the basement of the house, and the stove was not unplugged. The burners ignited a photo copier that was sitting on top of the stove.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like