Sanford man, a regular at town meetings, dies in house fire started by faulty light

By Nok-Noi Ricker, BDN Staff
Posted Nov. 02, 2011, at 5:27 a.m.

SANFORD, Maine — A 74-year-old man who found his home ablaze after returning from a town meeting Tuesday night, died when he entered the burning structure apparently to put out the flames himself, Stephen McCausland, Maine Department of Public Safety spokesman, said Wednesday.

“The body of Armand Talbot was found by firefighters inside his Armand Lane home after the fire was reported about 9 p.m.,” he said in a statement.

“He was a resident who attended many town meetings,” McCausland said of Talbot.

After arriving home and discovering the fire, the septuagenarian went to his neighbor’s to have them call the fire department and then Talbot returned home and entered the burning house.

“He died from smoke inhalation,” McCausland said Wednesday afternoon.

Fire investigators determined the blaze started in the laundry room of the small home, which was a former camp that had been converted into a year-round residence.

State Fire Marshal’s Office investigators determined Wednesday that a faulty fluorescent light fixture started the fire, McCausland said.

“The light was in the ceiling of the laundry room, which was where Armand Talbot’s body was found,” he said.

Talbot’s home, where he lived alone, was gutted by the fire, McCausland said.

http://bangordailynews.com/2011/11/02/news/portland/1-dead-in-garage-fire-in-sanford/ printed on August 31, 2014