December 11, 2017
Hancock Latest News | Poll Questions | Millinocket Marathon | Roy Moore | Susan Collins

Fire damages loader behind Ellsworth High while fire inspector was at school

By Kevin Miller, BDN Staff
Updated:

ELLSWORTH, Maine — Firefighters were called to Ellsworth High School on Wednesday morning to douse an engine fire that damaged a small front-end loader owned by the school system.

No one was injured in the fire, which occurred in a lot behind the school.

Mike Hangge, fire inspector with the Ellsworth Fire Department, said the fire appears to have started when the operator went to reconnect the batteries. A resulting spark arced across to the engine compartment, igniting a small blaze.

Hangge, who was at the high school conducting an inspection at the time, said the equipment was owned by RSU 24.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like