Bangor handles reports of three gun-related incidents over weekend

By Nok-Noi Ricker, BDN Staff
Posted Oct. 24, 2011, at 1:51 p.m.

BANGOR, Maine — Two people called Bangor police over the weekend to say they believed they had been threatened by a gun, and a third person accidentally discharged his handgun, Bangor police Sgt. Paul Edwards said Monday.

Police believe drugs were involved in the two reported gun-threatening cases, one of which was reported about 7:20 a.m. Sunday and the other about 1:50 a.m. Monday, the sergeant said.

The weapon discharge happened about 9:25 p.m. Saturday, when a 22-year-old Parkview Avenue resident “was cleaning his weapon and it discharged into the wall,” Edwards said. “There must have been a round in the chamber and it went off.”

No one was injured in that incident and no one was charged, the sergeant said.

The first gun-threatening case came into police as a report of a robbery on Harlow Street Sunday morning.

“It was not a robbery,” Edwards said. The person was “so out of it at the time” that investigators determined he was on drugs. He then admitted to using bath salts, the sergeant said.

The 23-year-old man told police he had been robbed at gunpoint and was being held captive. At some point he escaped and ran and then called for police, Edwards said.

After police investigated, the man was taken to a friend’s home.

A 44-year-old woman on Ohio Street called police early Monday and “claimed to be threatened by someone with a gun,” the police sergeant said. “It’s a drug-related case. It could be bath salts, but [the police report] doesn’t say.”

The woman was not cooperative after police arrived, Edwards said. No charges were filed, he said.

http://bangordailynews.com/2011/10/24/news/police-beat/bangor-handles-reports-of-three-gun-related-incidents-over-weekend/ printed on October 24, 2014